The Untouchables: Unknown Multinational Corporations

The article argues that it is becoming harder to stop multinational corporations from committing human rights abuses as the companies are widely unknown. Based in places like China, South Africa and Russia, the ‘countries where they are headquartered are unable to regulate them and the countries where they operate are unwilling to.’

When London based Rio Tinto discovered a deposit of diamonds under land owned by Zimbabwean farmers, they designed a plan to resettle the farmers with better conditions than they were before. Rio bought new farms with similar soil conditions, planted crops so they would be ready for harvest as the famers were resettled, trained community members and built schools and health clinics nearby. These measures were taken because Rio Tinto is listed on the stock exchanges and is held accountable by EU reporting requirements. Its activities are regulated by the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Britain’s National Contact Point for the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Activating these remedies would result in bad publicity and encourage divestment by Rio Tino’s investors.

However, when the unknown ethanol company Green Fuel bought Zimbabwean village land to convert into sugarcane fields, they did not organize resettlement plans for the villagers. Green Fuel is not regulated by internally and litigation from outside of Zimbabwe wouldn’t work as they company has no international shareholders or customers. In addition, a name and shame campaign cannot work on a corporation that has no reputation to protect.

The Untouchables

15 Comments

1. There are some fascinating points in time in this article but I do’t understand
    if I see all of them middle to heart. There’s some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further.
    Great article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner
    as well.

2. I wanted to thank you for this fantastic read!! I undoubtedly loving every little touch of it I
    have you bookmarked to have a look at new stuff you post.

3. I needed to thank you for this fantastic read!!
    I definitely loving every little touch of it I have you bookmarked to
    take a look at new material you post.

4. Way cool, some valid points! I appreciate you making this post available, the
    rest of the site is also high quality. Have a fun.

5. Greetings! Quite helpful advice on this article!
    It is the small changes that make the biggest changes.
    Thanks a lot for sharing!